There was a time when winning an Egg Bowl would give a Mississippi State University football coach job security for at least a year, but after Mississippi State University's 38-28 loss to the University of Louisville during the Music City Bowl, Joe Moorhead is now out of a job. 

The decision was announced early Friday morning in a press release from the MSU Athletic Department. MSU Athletic Director John Cohen said he decided to take the program in a new direction once he spoke with President Mark Keenum

“I want to thank Coach Moorhead for the hard work he has done with our football program,” Cohen said. “I wish Joe and his family success in the future.”

Keenum said it was clear the program needed new leadership after the team went 14-12 in Moorhead’s two years, losing both bowl games in which the Bulldogs played. 

“Coach Moorhead is a good man and I have nothing but respect for him,” Keenum said. “I sincerely wish the very best for him and his wonderful family.”

Cohen has named Tony Hughes as interim head coach for MSU; however, Cohen said a search for a new coach is underway. 

“We look forward to finding an outstanding leader both on and off the field who connects with our Bulldog student-athletes, coaches and fans to the fullest,” Cohen said.

Given the team's issues regarding a lack of discipline, such as the eight-game suspensions of 10 football players due to academic misconduct and a fight before the bowl game that left starting quarterback Garrett Shrader with a facial injury, Keenum said the next head coach must show discipline. 

“Cohen will be working to find a new head football coach who will demonstrably reflect our shared expectations for a consistently competitive football team that displays discipline, pride and preparation in all facets of the program,” Keenum added.

(1) comment

hanswave

Vietnam Construction Investment and Development Joint Stock Company is a pioneer in designing and constructing nha lap ghep. Nha lap ghep are now commonly used for housing for workers or even homestays and houses. Efficiency, sustainability, quality - are the criteria that IDC Vietnam pursues in every nha lap ghep. Website: http://nhalapghep.net