The importance of voting: college edition

As many of us are Mississippi State University students, we are aware of the occasional prompt to participate in polls directly affecting us as a student body.

For example, some of you may know when last semester a poll was released asking students for their thoughts on the grading scale at MSU. The poll asked students if they thought the grading system should be changed or remain the same (i.e. should a 92 remain an A or should a 92 be an A-). While such a grading scale may still be implemented, having a negative student response may deter such an occurrence. 

Being able to have your voice heard is also an important part of the MSU experience and is one of the many things separating college from high school. In high school, the people responsible for making decisions affecting the students were members of a school board. Rarely, if ever, did students have the opportunity to give an input about what they thought was the right course of action.

Sure, many schools had people with the titles of "Senior Class President" and other members of a student government, but when it came to larger decisions like uniforms or grading scales, those were left to other people.

Jacoba Urist of The Atlantic discusses the importance of students giving their opinions about matters directly affecting them. Urist explains many students would prefer to have a say in important matters, and many of the mistakes students would make in voting are the same adults make.

For instance, only focusing on trivial matters like cafeteria food and homework. However, many adults only express the importance of cutting taxes, and do not think about how to cut the taxes or why it would help or hurt the economy. 

Voting in college is also a way to be involved that is beneficial to both the students and the administrators. It gives students an indirect way of communicating with the administrators responsible for putting different policies in place.

For example, a poll was recently released asking students a few questions, one of which asked if students living in the dorms would prefer if laundry costs be added to the cost of housing, or if students should continue to pay $1.50 to wash, and $1.50 to dry their clothes. Some students may have enough financial aid to cover the extra costs, and they may see it as a cheaper and more effective way of paying for laundry if the costs were added to their housing.

However, if a student is from Starkville, or somewhere nearby, they may prefer to wash their clothes at home, and adding laundry to the cost of housing could be an unnecessary expense for them. Some may also fear they will be overcharged for laundry expenses if they do not wash clothes as often as other people.

All of these are important factors to take into consideration, and being informed about things like this and voicing your opinions and concerns is important because ultimately, decisions made about on-campus policies can affect both your grades and your wallet. 

(1) comment

GJones4796

The problem with DIY religion is that it is not Bible-based and therefore does not honor God. While I agree with your article in principle, I can tell it stops short of really addressing any touchy issues like homosexuality in the church. You are right churches (the body not the building) shun people inappropriately. They do this because they don’t understand that a Christian lives how Christ wants them to live — not how they want to live or how they think others should live. The Bible clearly states that living as a homosexual, thief, liar, slanderer and more will cause you to lose the reward of eternal life. But all people confuse the issue by thinking that if you are living that lifestyle you are not welcome in the church. These are the same people who think if you pray for something it will magically appear at your feet. Change and repentance takes time. If you have repented of a lifestyle you are declaring that you WANT to be part of the church and are willing to do as Christ asks for the reward of eternal life. But there are those who do not want to repent. The want the church to accept them on their terms and when the church doesn’t they claim they are hated, unloved and unwanted because of their lifestyle. Not so. Have you ever seen a child get scolded because he/she was not doing what he/she was told turn around and claim the adult hated them? It’s the same mentality. Heaven is a reward — the prize for winning the race. But we live in an age that has convinced people they get rewarded for just showing up. God doesn’t reward bad behavior and some people are insulted by that and lash out. That all being said, it’s also not the job of the church to punish or hurt the unrighteousness of others. Their punishment was decided before they were even conceived. It’s not the churches job to punish them but to show them God’s love so that they may live in Christ as He asks them to do.