Police find attempted abduction false report - The Reflector: News

Police find attempted abduction false report

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:00 am

Mississippi State University Police Department deemed last week’s reported abduction on MSU’s campus a hoax, according to an MSU University Relations news release.

On Sept. 11, MSU issued a Maroon Alert about a possible abduction attempt behind Sessums Hall.  According to the news release issued on Monday, the student who filed the report later recanted her claim. 

The release said the student now faces criminal charges for filing a false report.

Sid Salter, director of University Relations, said the student who filed the false report has caused damage to not only her own reputation, but the university’s reputation as well.

“This is unfortunate for the student, and even more so unfortunate for the university because the harm done by these kinds of senseless false claims does damage to the university that is incredibly difficult to repair,” Salter said. 

When asked if the student will face disciplinary action from MSU, Salter said the university is not ready to issue a statement yet.

“I think the fact the release said she is facing criminal charges is the first order of business,” he said. “We don’t really have any comments specifically for what penalties may be there until the situation plays out.”

Salter said he hopes students realize MSU police take reports of violence seriously and proceed with thorough investigations.  

“We take these reports seriously and are going to follow them to the logical conclusions,” Salter said. “Student safety is job number one. Because of that, we are going to follow through when people play fast and loose with the reputation of the university.”

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Personal strength conquers bad habits

Would any sensible person ever light a pile of paper on fire and revel in inhaling the smoke? Or take eight or nine teaspoons of sugar, mix it in a can of water and drink it to quench thirst? Probably not. 

More From OPINION