An opportunity for Mississippi State University to host a Camp Kesem chapter is in the works. Kesem is a growing organization serving more than five million children nationwide impacted by a parent's cancer.

MSU is on the ballot, along with 13 other colleges including Auburn University, the University of South Carolina and the University of Daytona.

Voting began on Jan. 28, and will continue through Feb. 1.

Camp Kesem is a nationwide community led by students from various colleges around the country. The camps are run during each summer all across the nation. The first camp began in 2000 at Stanford University. The goal of this program is to provide support to children with a parent diagnosed with cancer.

According to Camp Kesem’s website, its “innovative and fun filled programs provide children with peers who understand their unique needs, and create long-lasting impacts.” This is a volunteering opportunity for students, giving them the chance to greatly impact a child in need. Kesem invests in training, support and leadership development opportunities for students wishing to volunteer.

Justin Crenshaw, an interdisciplinary studies major, filled out the application to be a part of the voting campaign as MSU competes with many schools in order to receive the next chapter of Camp Kesem.

“The state of Mississippi does not have a chapter of Camp Kesem and children of this state need one,” Crenshaw said. “Mississippi State University and the community of Starkville will support this chapter and bring these children into the family.”

As a part of Camp Kesem’s expansion campaign, staff, students, faculty and the community will be able to vote once daily until Feb. 1. Up to six new chapters will be chosen from a list of the 13 finalists. To vote, visit vote.campkesem.org. Winners will be announced Feb. 6.

(0) comments