Pedestrian struck near Griffis Hall

On the morning of Aug. 1, a Mississippi State University student was struck by a vehicle while riding a scooter outside of Griffis Hall.

MSU police chief Vance Rice said both the driver and student neglected to see one another prior to impact.

“We turned it over to have an accident investigator come out because of concern for the victim,” Rice said.

Rice said the student’s injuries were not as bad as originally assumed.

The MSU police department was still waiting for the investigator's report. 

Dean of Students Thomas Bourgeois said the university would remind drivers and pedestrians to exercise caution when moving on campus.

“We further encourage them to always be alert when approaching crosswalks and intersections and to be mindful of the flow of people and vehicles in those areas,” Bourgeois said.

Bourgeois said operators of bikes, scooters and other motorized forms should avoid attempting to pass through mid-road crossings in unmarked areas and crosswalks.

"In compliance with state law and university policy, a rider should always dismount and walk their bike or motorized personal transit device through any pedestrian crosswalk on campus," Bourgeois said. 

According to Bourgeois, students are advised to wear a helmet when riding bikes, skateboards or scooters.

(0) comments