A new generation of blood donors is needed, and students are the perfect donors to pick up the call. With an aging blood donor base, statistics show nearly 60 percent of blood donations come from people over the age of 40, and nearly 45 percent come from people older than 50. The nation is in need of a younger generation to start donating blood.

By starting now, students at Mississippi State University can start a new trend with themselves and their friends. Blood donation saves 12,000 lives each day, and is one of the easiest ways people can make a positive impact on the world.

MSU students have the chance to #SaveTheHumans when they donate at the following blood drives on campus and receive a special “I Bleed Maroon” T-shirt:

9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. April 1 by the Colvard Student Union

10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 2 at Barnes & Noble

9:30a.m. to 2:30 p.m. April 4 by the Colvard Student Union

Schedule your appointment to donate at vitalant.org or call 877-25VITAL (258-4825).

Blood donation takes about an hour from check-in to refreshments. Donors can save about 20 minutes by completing their Fast Track Health History the day they donate. It’s available at vitalant.org.

Volunteer blood donors must be at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Additional height and weight requirements apply to donors 22 and younger, and donors who are 16 and 17 must have signed permission from a parent or guardian.

(0) comments