pumpkin_10.25

Located in beautiful Caledonia, Mississippi, a mere 39 minutes from Starkville, Country Pumpkins farm and pumpkin patch offers a plethora of fun, fall-centered activities.

Country Pumpkins, open until Nov. 4, grows and sells pumpkins, squash, gourds and other fall decorative items, such as hay bales and corn stalks. The pumpkins vary in price and size, ranging from the smallest pumpkins at 50 cents to pumpkins weighing as much as 150 lbs for $25. Guests also have the option of picking and cutting their own pumpkins from the pumpkin fields.

The farm, however, is much more than just a gourd retailer; it is the full fall experience. From hay rides and corn mazes to funnel cakes and picturesque antique tractors, Country Pumpkins has it all.

Starting at its inauspicious beginnings in 2000 as a roadside pumpkin tent, Country Pumpkins has grown beyond the expectations of Jean Colson and her husband, the owners of Country Pumpkins.

"We never envisioned when we put the little tent out there with the honor box that we would be doing this," Jean said. "It just kind of exploded because people are looking for a place to go in the fall, and it was an opportunity for my husband and me to open up the farm and share the harvest with everybody."

Jean said the farm is truly a blessing, and she and her husband love sharing the beauty with others.

"It’s just been a blessing," Jean said. "The agritourist business just took off on its own and we’ve been trying to hang on."

Country Pumpkins is a great option for college students looking to enjoy the beauty of the autumn season.

Joy Cariño, Mississippi State University student, said she loves going to Country Pumpkins because it allows her to spend time with friends and feel like a kid again.

"I love country pumpkins because it’s such a fun thing to do with friends, even if you’re a college student," Cariño said. "You can feel like a kid again with no shame."

Even without picking a pumpkin, the fall atmosphere and many activities make it a great experience.

"There’s a cool tire swing, a hay ride, one of those rolling bins you can roll in. It’s a wonderful atmosphere, especially when the weather is crisp," Cariño said. "Even if you don’t buy a pumpkin, the hay rides and fun time with friends is worth it."

Emily Erwin, an MSU student employed by Country Pumpkins, said she loves how her job involves working with so many kind people, including her coworkers and those who visit the farm.

“I love how kind everyone is,” Erwin said. "I consider my coworkers to be great friends, and the people who visit the patch are always so excited and grateful." 

Country Pumpkins is open Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sundays 12 to 6 p.m.

There is no admission fee, but several of the individual activities cost money. Hayrides and barrel train rides are $2 per person, the corn maze is $5 per person and the you-pick pumpkin patch is $6 per person.

Owner Jean Colson said college students really enjoy spending time together in the peace and quiet of the rural setting at Country Pumpkins.

"It’s a time to get together out in the country; it’s peaceful out here and quiet," Jean said. "I think it gives them a time to bond together and is a little different experience that you don’t get to do everyday."

(0) comments