International Education Week takes MSU around the world

This week, Mississippi State University celebrates International Education Week, providing MSU the opportunity to peek into the lives of students around the world.

Sponsored by the Holmes Culture and Diversity Center and the International Student Advisory Board, this week is a great opportunity to learn more about cultures around the world through a series of free activities.

Keiwa Higuchi, the program committee chair for ISAB, said International Education Week is a chance to step out of one's own world and into another’s right here in Starkville.

"People should come to get more knowledge from around the world and not stay secluded within the U.S.," Higuchi said. "You get to see good performances and learn something new."

Tuesday’s keynote speaker, Rashida Braggs, will discuss the topic of "Identify, Protest, & Liberation through the Marriage of Music and Word" in the Dawg House from noon to 1:30 p.m. Later in the day, Braggs will have a second discussion on her book "Performing Jazz Diasporas from Africa to the U.S. to France" in the Robert and Freda Harrison Auditorium in Giles hall at 4 p.m.

The Writing Center will conclude Tuesday with an ESL Game Night at 7 p.m., including board games, free food and cultural education.

Wednesday includes a panel for faculty, featuring international student voices, the English Language Institute’s weekly conversation group and the big event: Global Night.

Global Night, sponsored by ISAB, will be held in the Union Ballroom from 6 to 9 p.m. This second annual event invites students and faculty to gather together and experience other cultures through informational booths, performances and free food.

Organizations including the Saudi Association, Black Student Association, Latino Student Association, Multicultural Greek Council, Men of Excellence, LGBTQ+, Nepal Student Association, German Club and Russian Club will attend.

Each organization will have information booths telling of their culture and the club’s functions, and will provide authentic food from their country.

Andrew Elberson, public relations representative for ISAB and a member of the German Club, said the main focus of these events is to include everyone, not just international students.

There will be a stage for multiple performances by bands, dance groups and singers. Attendees can expect to see traditional dances and attire, including the German Club’s dirndls and lederhosen.

Stacy Hernandez, the LSA community outreach coordinator, said she really enjoyed Global Night last year, and is looking forward to this year’s festivities.

"I really enjoyed it," Hernandez said. "It was really cool seeing all the different cultures and seeing all the traditional attire and dancing. It was absolutely beautiful."

Along with the daily events, festivities will continue all week. A Study Abroad Photo Contest Gallery showing photos of MSU students' study abroad experiences will be located on the third floor of Mitchell Memorial Library. Also, there will be an International Fiesta Poster Design Contest. The winner will receive a prize of $100, and have their work featured on the cover of the International Fiesta flyer.

Lastly, Perry Cafeteria partnered with HCDC to serve Delicious DestiNATIONS from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day. The event will highlight unique dishes from countries and regions from all around the world, including Indian, South Korean, European, Japanese and Mexican cuisines.

The week's celebrations end Thursday with the Study Abroad Photo Contest Gallery reception, and a meet and greet in the Writing Center.

The Study Abroad Photo Contest Gallery reception, hosted by the Office of Study Abroad, will be in the Colvard Student Union, room 330, and winners from different photography categories will be announced and awarded prizes.

The meet and greet in the Writing Center will give students a chance to socialize and develop relationships with international students over coffee and cookies.

For more information on any events or entering any contests, contact the Holmes Culture and Diversity Center located on the second floor of the Colvard Student Union, or call their office at (662) 325-3228.

(1) comment

lgjhere

IE Week is important because being an international student away from home difficult, compounded by our complex culture and language problems. Welcoming and assimilation assistance must come from numerous sources, including the White House, to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey. Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and even informative books to extend a cultural helping hand.
Something that might help anyone coming to the US is the award-winning worldwide book/ebook "What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.” Used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors, it identifies how “foreigners” have become successful in the US, including students.
It explains how to cope with a confusing new culture and friendship process, and daunting classroom differences. It explains how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.
It also identifies the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.
Good luck to all at MSU or wherever you study or wherever you come from, because that is the TRUE spirit of the American PEOPLE, not a few in government who shout the loudest! Supporters of int’l students must shout louder.